Wednesday, June 1, 2011

“LIFE IS SHORT”

'The journey through life is not supposed to be easy; it is supposed to be real.'


Before I begin on the topic about which I have chosen to write, I would like to make one statement.  As I have stated on my ‘mantra’ page, I am Christian.  However, I believe that we can learn many things from other philosophies and other religions.  Life is a journey. Why not be open to all inspirational things that can help us walk on our path with less difficulty, less stress, less negativity, less judgments and NO labels?  I strive to be real, because to pretend is unkind, not only to yourself but to all people you encounter.  To feign, in my opinion is the worst emotional injustice you can inflict on others.  Well, with all that said, here is my post.
THIS IS IN MEMORY OF A FALLEN SOLDIER.  I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH HIS MOTHER.  FOR PRIVACY REASONS I WILL NOT REVEAL ANY NAMES.  BUT, HE DIED AT THE TENDER AGE OF TWENTY SIX.  THIS QUOTE WAS ON THE BACK OF THE MEMORIAL SERVICE LEAFLET. 
“Life is Short”
Four Mind Changes:
A reminder of the reality of Karma.
Please reflect on the following:

 I.   I have been blessed with a life in which I can do many things to further my own happiness and the happiness of those around me.  It would be a shame to waste this wondrous opportunity by engaging in useless and meaningless activities; it would be a pity to waste this life by not fulfilling one’s spiritual potential.

 II.  Life is short:  There’s no time to waste.  Reflecting upon death is not meant to be a morbid practice.  In fact, it can have the opposite effect; it can help ground us in the here and now and make us appreciate the wonderful miracle of life each moment as it’s given to us now.

III.  The journey through life isn’t supposed to be easy; it’s supposed to be real.  Regularly contemplating the travails of our journey helps us to stay realistic about what life is and is not.  Do not be depressed by these thoughts.  Instead, recognize the joys that can be found by staying grounded and real.  Every dip and rise, every twist and turn is part of the infinite journey; why turn aside from any of it.

IV.  Our Karma is the one thing we carry with us always.  Thinking about your karma helps you face the truth about your own experience, it helps you make changes when necessary.  Do not think about changing anybody else’s behavior—just your own.  What can you do today to change the way you feel tomorrow?”  
---Lama Surya Das



When I first read this, I was at a loss for words.  My thoughts were about the parents and how to cope with the death of a child; for truly, it is not the norm for a child to leave this world first.  But, it does happen.  However, this young man’s memorial service was not focused on the living, not selfishly created for those left behind.  It was a celebration of his life.  It was facing the reality that our time on this earth is limited and uncertain.  Even through the death of a child, we live on and must create a new path for ourselves; a path that no longer includes a part of our being—a creation and gift from God, Creator, Higher Power, Source or any other word of your choice—our child.

If you read my blog, you will know that my daughter has been estranged from us for a while now…HER CHOICE not mine.  It has felt similar to a ‘death’.  This is her path, her karma.  Finally, I have decided that I can no longer be depressed by her actions.  While, it still hurts very much, I have to move on with my life.  I can no longer be stagnant.  The only growth while being stagnant is algae.  If you were to define algae it means any group of lower plants having chlorophyll but not a vascular system.  So what does this mean?  The etymology of vascular is Latin vascularis, from Latin vasculum small vessel, diminutive of vas vase, vessel.  In reference to our human body, vascular is all about the heart, the blood, the flow of life.  I can no longer allow my heart to not beat.  I can no longer live outside of life.  I need to fill my vessel with life giving force.  I need to flow like a river. I must create a new path with every current that ‘twists and turns’ and changes the boundaries of its banks —my life. 

This is life.  I have to live.  I cannot change her behavior, but I can change my own.  So, today I am going to pray that I can do something to change the way I feel tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Menancy, I Just finished reading your recent posts. They were all well written and I enjoyed them all! I especially appreciated your brevity of life theme and your poetry. I too, have purposed to keep my distance from people who are full of anger and or negativity. I have a quiet intolerance and much prefer my solitude. I also appreciate your positive attitude in spite of your health challenges and personal emotional pain. I think the path you have chosen is healthy and I can sense the difference your choices are making compared to some of your earlier posts. God is so good to us to lead us in our journeys when we purpose to put Him in the driver's seat. Be encouraged and keep writing. Prayer for you also as you journey on. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate you noticing the change in my posts. I am trying so hard. God is good. And it has been a blessing to have this blog, and you and Tonya and many others for support. Thank you very much and God Bless you on your journey to healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. true said...
    Life is too short to live, there we should enjoy each single second of it.
    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete