Thursday, June 9, 2011

Can You?

A POEM TO MYSELF


Can You?


Can you stand by my side
While in this darkness I abide?
Is it unfair to ask,
A too burdensome task?

Can you find strength enough to share
When I fall hopelessly into despair?
Will the fear be to great and push you away
Making it impossible for you to stay?

Can you find a safe place in your heart
To keep the hope which in my life is not a part?
I promise to never forget it is there—
To go on living, though my soul is bare.

Can you teach me about your faith in God
And light the path on which I trod?
From you I can learn about the love
That is blessed and sent from heaven above.

Can you help me out of this awful pain
So my life will not have been lived in vain?
Tell me, is it too much to ask
To know who I am without the mask?
6/23/96
Menancy

Please do not copy in any way.  Copyright protected. Thank you.
Picture not mine...no copyright infringement intended.

7 comments:

  1. last verse is simply superb !!!
    Nice work
    Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for your comments! This was written many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant!
    I often wonder if it is indeed possible to be ourself without that great big mask protecting us from whats true to life!
    It reminds me of one of my very favourite Oscar Wilde Quotes
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    I often find myself wondering if it is really possible to remove the mask we wear and just be ourselves and tell the truth!
    Without that great big heavy wall be stand behind most of our natural lives!
    We need to remove it and life the life created for us!

    I loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Silent Smile, Thank you for reading my poem and for your wonderful comment. I love your quote! I find it to be very true for me! Please take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find so much of me in your poems. I write from my heart and let it flow. Sometimes with ryhme and sometimes not. But my feelings non the less. I feel every word you write and it moves me so much. Thank you thank thank you. I love the videos as well.
    Kate Theis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear irishweebit, Thank you so much for your comment. I love your poems also. So many of us in this world are connected in similar ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is brilliant. I'm speechless!

    ReplyDelete